Monday, August 16, 2010


Or what seems to be a routine...

Not many people I've talked to has a "routine" they try to follow with their newest addition.  In fact most have said, "we just go with the flow".  I couldn't imagine not have routine, rules, guild lines, daily rituals at this point.  I wish it were as easy as just letting things happen as they come, heck, that's how I prefer to live my life.  

Our routine is simple-

7AM:  We are generally still in bed, gas medicine is given and each girl gets fed and changed, then back to sleep.  If we didn't go back to sleep it would be a long day of cranky mom and babies.

9AM-9:30AM:  One of the girls will generally wake hungry, she'll get fed and changed with clothes for the day put on.  Normally at this time I could have 5-30 minutes before the other wakes.  This gives me one on one time with who ever is currently awake, as well as time for breakfast.  Otherwise, breakfast goes out the window for me. =p

10AM:  The other is normally awake by this time changed, dressed, and fed.  

10AM-12PM:  Now between this time it's pretty much said that they are going to both want attention.  IF I can occupy one with the swing I'll spend some tummy time with the other...otherwise it's both of them on the ground while mom tries to make the silliest faces and noises to get them to be content.  Also hoping they learn to play with each other. (At this point it's safe to say they aren't too fond of each other)

12PM:  Now this time is important.  They HAVE to be laid down for a nap otherwise they are very cranky and mom is getting cranky, specially if she wasn't able to eat breakfast.  

12PM-1PM:  I can some times get an hour of nap time out of them.  It's pretty sketchy though and usually one is up within 20 minutes.  Which is fine as long as I have the other still down sleeping.  Also at this time Mr. A is home for lunch and we get to spend some time alone together IF they both are sleeping.  (Luckily today they were)

1PM-3PM:  They are given their gas medicine again, fed, and are generally awake during this time.  Now we do occasionally go for a walk with they are pretty content for.  If not and we are home, we spend most the time either in the living room in bouncers or outside in bouncers trying to keep the babies happy till dad gets home at 3:30PM.  (If he gets home on time)  This time can go pretty rough and this past week has been spent with all 3 of us in tears.  A good majority of this time they are acting hungry and I spend most the time trying to feed them.  

3:30PM-5PM:  This time is usually the "up in the air" time of the day.  Depending on if Mr. A gets home on time and what we have to do for the day.  Sometimes it's simply relax feed the kids and play/hold them for the time being.  Other times it's mass attack mom and cry, why?  Because they can!  

5PM-6:30PM:  By this time of the day the girls are pretty cranky, I think it's their Fuss Time.   It generally takes both Mr. A and I holding one until their next feeding around 6:30-7PM.  

6:30PM-8PM:  Bottles MUST be given within the 6:30-7PM time frame.  Otherwise you have 2 gremlins who make sure to let you know they are hungry and tired.  This is their 1 bottle for the day, which is filled with just formula. (Unless of course we go out and I bring some thawed milk in bottles) If they take their bottle by 6:30 it generally will take them 30-45 minutes to finish.  Every other day they are given a bath after their bottle.  Then after bath it's down for bed.   Normally having them in bed by 8PM.  Sometimes longer due to fussy or fighting sleep. They usually will only fall asleep if in their bouncer or held on mine or Mr. A's chest.  

8PM-11PM:  During this time if all goes well they are both in bed by 8PM and we have the rest of the night alone.  We do have the occasional wake up, where one wont sleep very well and has to be comforted again.  I'll pump during this time as to store milk for days away from home. Getting about 5oz each side....not that that's important. =p

11PM-3AM:  Both the hubs and I are in bed by 11PM (if not earlier), me because I'm exhausted and him cause he has work.  If the girls are sleeping fine they will stay in their crib till roughly 3AM.  If one does wake up before then fussing we will generally bring her into the bed room and put her in the co-sleeper as to not wake the other.  Sometimes this goes well other times it does not, it's really hit or miss.  We tend to not try and feed either of them again if they are fussy due to having the bottle and them usually just being extremely tired.  

3AM-4AM:  Around this time they wake up for their early feeding, normally one at a time making it easy to simply nurse in bed so as I get more sleep and they can fall asleep again after filling up.  If both wake at the same time I'll usually wander out to the living room and tandem feed.  (after a change of the diaper of course).

4AM-6:30AM:  We are all back in bed by 4-4:30AM.  If the girls don't go down easy we will tummy hold them in bed till they do.  Giving us another couple hours of sleep.

Then we are around to 7AM again.

Of course not every day will go this way but we I usually try to keep it on the same schedule because otherwise it's pretty much WWIII.

If we do spend the day away from home the routine is ruined and the day normally doesn't go smoothly.  If they are given their bottle at 7PM and not at home they get pretty cranky and want to be able to go to sleep.  Car rides are nice, if they aren't hungry, since they go to sleep pretty quickly after getting going. 

Feedings are also a hit and miss.  90% of the time I spend feeding them.  It takes one roughly 30-45 minutes to eat...same for the other.  As you can imagine when they want to eat 2 hours after the last feeding it gets pretty repetitive.  

As you can see I don't get any time to myself...not yet anyway.  I generally will try and shower when Mr. A get's home, other than that I normally will not get anything done.  I have clean laundry that has been sitting in the laundry room since before they came home from the hospital.  I have yet to sit in my hammock since they've been home and normally the hubs does all the cooking.  Unless we hit a good night were I get 30 minutes and can cook something up. 

Bottom line,  I don't have enough arms or enough time in the day.  Tuesdays are good because the Gamma comes or I go to her for some much needed help.  Even then 4 hands doesn't always cover it.  I've met 1 mom of Twins who is a single mother.  I give her very big props!  One at a time is.....difficult, (yes yes it has it's hard times I know. I'm not knocking all you moms out there by any means <3) one at a time with a husband and help is easy!  Two at a time with help and a hubby is ridiculous, two at a time with absolutely no help......God Help Them.  (Not even mentioning triplets/quads/etc or a child with a disability, those of you with those...I LOVE YOU!  On top of, hope to have your patience someday).  Not saying it's impossible..cause it's possible...but it is definitely more than you can handle.  It takes more patience than any one person has. 

Of course every child is different if you're lucky your baby hardly cries and is perfect.  On the other hand you could have everything in the book thrown at you from colic to a horrible disability...either way we make it through!!
 It's an accomplishment! You get to watch your beautiful babies grow.  Grow because you raised them..YOU.  The price of a pregnancy and 10yrs of instant aging for the reward of one, two or even three tiny little smiles waiting for you in the morning.  

For any mom out there with a Singleton, Twins, Trips and so on...If you are happy by the end of the day and your kids are safe and sound from a day of learning and are a Super Parent.

Now...It's not a to-the-T routine...but it's ours.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Even if it's just to say "Hi"! Check back often, I may comment back!